In April, Maya Angelou was interviewed by Oprah (on>her show) for Dr. Angelo’s 74th birthday. Oprah asked her what she thought of growing older. And, there on
television, she said it was “exciting.” Regarding body changes, she said there were many, occurring everyday… like her breasts. They seem to be in a race to see which will reach her waist first, she said. The audience laughed so hard they cried.
>Dr. Angelou also said:
>”I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad
>it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better
>tomorrow. I’ve learned that you can tell a lot about a
>person by the way he/she handles these three things: a
>rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree
>lights. I’ve learned that regardless of your
>relationship with your parents, you’ll miss them when
>they’re gone from your life. I’ve learned that making
>a “living” is not the same thing as making a “life.”
>I’ve learned that life sometimes gives you a second
>chance. I’ve learned that you shouldn’t go through
>life with a catcher’s mitt on both hands; you need to
>be able to throw something back. I’ve learned that
>whenever I decide something with an open heart, I
>usually make the right decision. I’ve learned that
>even when I have pains, I don’t have to be one. I’ve
>learned that every day you should reach out and touch
>someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly
>pat on the back. I’ve learned that I still have a lot
>I’ve learned that people will forget what you said,
>people will forget what you did, but people will never
>forget how you made them feel.”
Rules for Being Human
1. You will receive a body. You may like it or hate it, but it will be yours for the entire period this time around.
2. You will learn lessons. You are enrolled in a full-time informal school called LIFE. Each day in this school you will have the opportunity to learn lessons. You may like the lessons or think them irrelevant or stupid. It makes no difference, you will learn lessons.
3. There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trial and error, experimentation. The “failed” experiments are as much a part of the process as the experiment that ultimately “works”.
4. A lesson is repeated until learned. A lesson will be presented to you in various forms until you have learned it. When you have learned it, you can then go on to the next lesson.
5. Learning lessons does not end. There is no part of life that does not contain its lessons. If you are alive, there are lessons to be learned.
6. “There” is no better than “here”. When your ‘there” has become a “here” you will simply obtain another “there” that will again, look better than “here”.
7. Others are merely mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects to you something you love or hate about yourself.
8. What you make of life is up to you. You have all the tools and resources that you need. What you do with them is up to you. The Choice is YOURS.
9. The answers to life’s questions lie inside of you. All you need to do is look, listen and trust.
10. You will get what you ask for. It may not be what you wanted…but it will be what you asked for. ~ Unknown Author.